11, Derbenevskaya emb., fl. 12, office 1202/1205, Business Center "Pollars", Moscow, 115114
Registration of copyright (author’s right)
Article 1259 of the Civil Code of the RF (Objects of copyright):
1. Objects of copyrights are works of science, literature and art regardless merits and purpose of such work as well as the way of its expression:
- literary works;
- dramatic and musical-and-dramatic works, scenario works;
- choreographic works and pantomimes;
- musical works with lyrics or without it;
- audiovisual works;
- paintings, sculptures, graphics, design, graphic stories, comics and other works of fine art;
- works of decorative and applied art and scenographic art;
- works of architecture, urban development and landscape, including in the form of projects, drawings, images and models;
- works of photography and works created by means similar to photography;
- geographical, geological and other maps, plans, sketches and three-dimensional works related to geography, topography and other sciences;
- other works.
As the objects of copyrights are also recognized computer programs that are protected as literary works.
2. To the objects of copyrights are also referred:
1) derivative works, i.e. works being a remake of another work;
2) compilations , i.e. works that constitute themselves a result of creative work through the way of compilation or layout of materials.
3. Copyrights protect both published and unpublished works, expressed in any object form including written, verbal (in the form of public announcement, public performance and other similar form), in the form of image, in the form of sound- and video, in three- dimensional form.
4. No registration of the works or compliance with any other formalities is required for appearance, execution and protection of copyright.
There is a possibility of registration in respect of computer programsand databases that is performed at the request of copyrith’s owner in accordance with rules of article 1262 of the this Code.
5. Copyright does not protecto ideas, concepts, principles, methods, processes, systems, ways, solutions of technical, organizational and other problems, discoveries, facts, languages of programming.
6. As objects of copyright ARE NOT recognized:
1) official documents of state bodies and local government authorities of municipal entities, including laws, other legislative acts, court rulings, other materials of legislative, administrative and judicial character, official documents of international organizations as well as their official translations;
2) state symbols and signs (flags, emblems, orders, banknotes etc.) as well as symbols and signs of municipalities;
3) works of amateur and folks art (folklore) that do not have particular authors;
4) messages about events and facts that have exclusively informational character ( daily news, television listings, transportation schedules, etc. ).
7. Copyrights protect a part of the work, its name, a character of the work if by virtue of their nature they can be recognized as an independent result of creative work of the author and meet the requirements stipulated in paragraph 3 of the present article.
Protection of copyright
Copyrights appear and are protected from the date of creation of the work and by virtue of the fact of its creation, thus it is not required to perform any formalities (state registration etc.).
However, for ensuring of evidence base in case of court procedures connected with protection or challenge of the right: moral rights or exclusive property right of the authors of works, performers and/or producers of phonograms etc., as well as in case of conclusion of copyright and license agreements on use of such works, the authors often resort to a procedure of depositing and registration of a work in copyright organizations. Thus, such measures in certain cases are able to provide sufficient support in producing evidence of authorship.